Wednesday, July 18, 2012

No Sleep Till (Rock Is Back)

Exciting day for fans of rock in New York City yesterday. The death toll rang for a station that, well, no one listened to. The rock format will finally be back in New York. As a former intern at 101.9 WRXP (and one who was at the station the day the sale to Merlin Media was announced) I feel compelled to say that this is clearly a victory for rock in NYC. Everyone at RXP that day knew that news would never last on FM, especially as the RXP was gaining listeners in 2011. As the only station in New York City playing contemporary rock, the station was not only a personal favorite, but was loved by many.

The station became New Rock 101.9 yesterday, cutting off the failed experiment that was FM News. I've listened to the station a bit and I have to say, it's close to what RXP was when it first started. In the first hour I listened to the station I heard the Foo Fighters, Beastie Boys, Third Eye Blind, and Pearl Jam.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think it's time to put 101.9 back in your radio presets.

Listen live HERE.

"Hey, hey, my, my. Rock and roll can never die." - Neil Young

No comments:

Post a Comment